Monday, April 4, 2011

Who Inspires You?


Growing up I was given lots of opportunities to be creative. It started when I was very young by making up games to play with my sisters then it later transformed into stories that we would capture on film. My parents were supportive of my desire to be creative at a young age by letting me use their video camera and by doing that they let me create short stories that my sisters, my friends, and I would come up with. My inspiration and creativity comes from everything around me. Mostly, my inspiration and creativity comes from the dreams I have, my friends, my family, songs, and the world around me. 

~Three Examples~
  • Hercules by Ron Clements and John Musker

  • This is one of my favorite movies of all times when I was growing up. I would watch this movie constantly because the story was so inspiring. I admire this film but not really the creators of it. In this story you are presented with heroes and villains. I noticed which characters were which by how contrast they looked from one another. For example, the villain Hades is blue, wears black clothes, and has blue fire as hair. The hero’s were Gods who lived on Mount Olympus who wore colorful clothes and had glowing warm skin. Throughout this movie you notice the motive of the main character, Hercules, because of how he is actively trying to become a god again, so he can rejoin his family on Mount Olympus by defeating many villains. The reason I’m so drawn and admire this film so much is because of its story and meaning. This story is relatable to its audience because one of the objectives is how Hercules is trying to find a place where he belongs. Many people struggle with fitting in places and I feel this movie does a great job in display a character’s struggle with finding out who he is and where he belongs, which is what most of us face in life. This film inspires my work by I want to tell stories like Hercules; I want to tell stories that have a meaning behind them and is relatable to my audience.

  • “You Belong With Me” by Taylor Swift

·        
  • Taylor Swift is one of my favorite artists because I feel her songs are relatable to me and what is going on in my life. Whenever I listen to one of her songs I can picture exactly what the music video would look like, if it hasn’t been made yet, and I also get new movie ideas based on the subtext of her lyrics. One of my favorite songs of hers is “You Belong With Me.” I like this song because of how it is relatable to teenage girls who have liked a guy but the guy is with someone else. The text of the lyrics describes how the contrast between a girl who is in love with a guy to the girl who is with the guy now. The subtext is about the love this girl feels for this boy and how they belong with each other.

  •   Steven Spielberg

 
JAWS

 
Jurassic Park
 
Saving Private Ryan
  •    Steven Spielberg is known to be one of the best directors of all time. He is also one of my favorite directors. I believe that he has a great talent of bringing his stories to life on the silver screen. Every time I watch his films I get even more inspired to make my own films, so I can have the chance to tell the world my stories and be able to bring them to life. Steven Spielberg has brought his movies to life to where I subjectively believe what is happening on screen is real. I feel like they are so realistic that some of his movies have actually made me fear things I have never feared until after I saw the movies. For example, I am deathly afraid of sharks and dinosaurs because of watching the movies Jaws and Jurassic Park. After I watched those movies I can never go into the ocean ever again because I am too afraid of getting eaten by a shark. To this day if I watch any of those movies or just see one little scene, I will have nightmares that night. But I can say not all of his movies have scared me to a point where I can’t watch them anymore. One of my favorite movies of all times is Saving Private Ryan. I can’t even explain how amazing this movie is. The casting for this movie was great and just how life like Spielberg made this film. The characters in this story are so contrast among each other that make this movie interesting. Steven Spielberg truly made this movie, which is based off a true story, come to life in more ways than I can even explain.  

1 comment:

  1. I really like the way that you dissected "Hercules" and how it is an inspiration to your work. Such a classic tale! I remember carrying around a Meg themed lunchbox in kindergarten. It's always important to have a lighthearted yet meaningful movie such as "Hercules" that drives your motivation. Plus the music is awesome as well :).

    The Steven Spielberg paragraph is great; not only is Spielberg able to make inspirational films such as "Saving Private Ryan", but his creativity has the ability to scare people in "Jaws" and "Jurassic Park". I'll admit that I was horrified with "Jaws" at first, but then I realized that the shark was fake looking. Still, I hate the ocean too =/. I must say that I think that dinosaurs are pretty rad, not going to lie. Great blog! Can't wait to start making movies with you!

    ReplyDelete